Please add the Governors' Wind Energy Coalition to your address book for uninterrupted delivery
View this email in a web browser.
Governors' Wind Energy Coalition

July 30, 2019

Top Stories

Automakers, Colorado Reach Deal on Zero-Emission Vehicle Mandate

By David Shepardson, Reuters  •    •  Posted 2019-07-30 04:34:00

Colorado and major automakers said on Monday they have reached a deal on the state’s plan to adopt California’s zero-emission vehicle (ZEV) requirements after earlier talks had ended without a deal. The state, which plans to join the California program starting in the 2023 model year, has agreed to allow automakers to earn credits for selling electric vehicles in the two model years prior and use other transitional credits available in other states.
[ read more … ]

NextEra inks 700 MW wind + solar + battery project, largest in the US

By Robert Walton, Utility Dive  •    •  Posted 2019-07-30 04:30:46

NextEra Energy Resources will develop the largest hybrid renewable project in the United States, a 700 MW facility in Oklahoma that will serve 21 utility members and other customers of Western Farmers Electric Cooperative. The Skeleton Creek project will include 250 MW of wind, 250 MW of solar and a 200 MW / 800 MWh battery storage project. [ read more … ]

Policy & Politics

N.Y. enacted a landmark climate law. Now comes the hard part

  •    •  Posted 2019-07-29 14:58:04

If enacting the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act was a heavy lift, actually meeting its goals will be even more difficult. New York has considerable work to do to achieve the targets of the legislation. It cut emissions 8% between 1990 and 2015, according to the most recent state greenhouse gas inventory. The new law calls for reducing emissions by 40% of 1990 levels by 2030 and 85% by 2050 (Climatewire, June 18). The remaining 15% of emissions would be offset to make the state carbon neutral. [ read more … ]

Ameren scraps planned project in northwest Mo.

By Associated Press  •    •  Posted 2019-07-30 04:34:53

Missouri’s largest electricity provider is backing away from a plan to develop a wind energy farm in northwest Missouri. Ameren Missouri says it has terminated plans for a 157-megawatt wind facility in Atchison County because it was too costly to make the significant improvements that would have been needed to the transmission system. [ read more … ]

EV programs run out of cash. What can states do?

By David Iaconangelo, E&E News reporter  •    •  Posted 2019-07-30 04:35:09

States around the country are scrambling to enact legislation and address backlogs as electric vehicle programs run out of money. The most recent example is Massachusetts, where lawmakers are trying to rescue the state’s incentives for electric vehicle sales after drivers burned through a program that dealt out more $30 million in recent years. [ read more … ]

Inslee release climate change ‘Justice’ plan ahead of debate

By Josh Siegel, Washington Examiner  •    •  Posted 2019-07-30 04:35:25

Ahead of the debate, Inslee on Monday released an “environmental and economic justice plan” aimed at responding to the disproportionate impacts of climate change and pollution on low-income and minority neighborhoods. He’s announcing the initiative — the fifth component of his climate change plan — outside the the Marathon Refinery in southwest Detroit, which refines Canadian tar sands oil. [ read more … ]

Note: News clips provided do not necessarily reflect the views of coalition or its member governors.